Tennessee Komen Affiliates Celebrate Grand Expansion Announcement

Tennessee Komen Affiliates Celebrate Grand Expansion Announcement

Komen Upper Cumberland and Komen Greater Nashville are joining forces to make a bigger impact in the fight against breast cancer with the formation of Komen Central Tennessee.

“By joining forces, we can have a greater impact on our community as a whole and grow our local volunteer and sponsorship relationships and strengthen partnerships with grantee organizations,” said Eileen Stuber, of Komen Upper Cumberland.

As Komen Central Tennessee, the new affiliate will continue to serve the 25 counties currently served by Komen Greater Nashville and Komen Upper Cumberland.

“By combining resources, our two affiliates will be able to reduce operating costs and increase resources to help women and men access breast cancer education, screening, treatment and support services,” said Patty Harman, executive director of Komen Greater Nashville.

The consolidation will not change the things that matter most to the communities served. Regional offices will continue local operations. Community-focused events, such as outreach and educational services, annual Race for the Cure events and fundraisers, will continue. And local donations and fundraising will continue to serve local breast health programs.

Grand Reopening

The affiliates are celebrating their pending merger on Tuesday May 3, 2016 on the second floor of Graces plaza from 9-11am. A short presentation will be made at 10am featuring the founder of the Greater Nashville Affiliate, Shauna Alford.

Race Registrations Now Open

The annual Race for the Cure for Middle Tennessee and the Upper Cumberland will continue each fall. The 2016 Race for the Cure Middle Tennessee is set for Oct. 1 in Brentwood, while the Race for The Cure Upper Cumberland will be held Sept. 24 in Cookeville. Please save the dates for these upcoming events.

Local Grants Announced

Grants for Upper Cumberland and Middle Tennessee grants were announced today as representatives of the two former affiliates joined to celebrate their partnership.

In the Upper Cumberland Region, the following grants were announced:

  • Cookeville Regional Medical Center
  • Putnam County YMCA
  • Tennessee Department of Health

In Middle Tennessee, grants announced today include:

  • Austin Peay State University
  • Charis Health Center
  • Faith Family Medical
  • Friends in General, Inc c/o Metropolitan Nashville Hospital Authority
  • Gilda’s Club
  • Saint Thomas Our Mission in Motion
  • Primary Care & Hope Clinic
  • Progreso Community Center
  • Siloam Family Health Clinic
  • Tennessee Department of Health
  • YMCA of Middle Tennessee

Since 2006, Komen Upper Cumberland has provided more than $750,000 in local grants, including funding for free mammograms, diagnostic support, survivorship and education and outreach. More than $250,000 has supported research grants. Since 1997, Komen Greater Nashville has raised more than $4 million to support screening, treatment and educational services to the women of Middle Tennessee.

Moving forward as Komen Central Tennessee, 75 percent of funds raised will continue to remain in Central Tennessee to serve women, men and families. The remaining 25 percent will continue to support groundbreaking global research to end breast cancer.