History

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $889 million in research and provided more than $1.95 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.

History of Susan G. Komen Central Tennessee

1992– More than 500 people gathered in Centennial Park to participate in Greater Nashville’s first Race for the Cure.  During the next six years, the Race was managed under the umbrella of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Center at Centennial Medical Center.

1997– The Greater Nashville Affiliate was founded through the leadership of Junior League of Nashville members, Shana Alford and Barb Sawyer.  Shana, a breast cancer survivor herself, became the first president of the Affiliate, and Barb served as the first Race Chair. Through their leadership, along with countless volunteer efforts, the Greater Nashville Affiliate grew to include a staff and a strong, diverse Board of Directors.  From 2000-2016, Komen Greater Nashville  provided more than $4.9 million in screening, treatment and educational services to the women in Cheatham, Davidson, Dickson, Maury, Montgomery, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Trousdale, Williamson and Wilson counties.

2006– The Upper Cumberland Affiliate was founded by a dedicated group of volunteers that vowed to improve breast health in the Upper Cumberland through education and advocacy. Each year the Affiliate held its signature events, the Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure and the Tee Up for the Cure golf tournament. From 2008-2016,  Komen Upper Cumberland granted over $950,000 for free mammograms, diagnostic services, survivor support and educational resources to women in Cannon, Clay, Cumberland, DeKalb, Fentress, Jackson, Macon, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith Van Buren, Warren and White counties.

2016– In the spring of 2016, leaders of Komen Greater Nashville and Komen Upper Cumberland began the conversation to merge in order to strengthen operations and have a greater impact in the fight against breast cancer in Tennessee. In June of 2016 the affiliates joined forces to form Komen Central Tennessee.

Now serving 25 counties, Komen Central Tennessee:

  • Is the local source for breast cancer detection and support projects.
  • Funds vital screening mammograms, diagnostic testing and treatment support through annual Community Grants Program.
  • Maintains offices in the Greater Nashville Region and the Upper Cumberland Region.
  • Regional offices will continue to support outreach and community focused events, local Race for the Cure events and fundraisers.

Komen Central Tennessee supports breast cancer treatments, screening, education, support services and research. Up to 75% of net proceeds remain in the affiliate service area. The remaining 25% goes toward ground breaking research.